Monday, January 12, 2009

No Money... No Problem




Okay... An excuse I used to use was, "if I only had that expensive writing software, that helps me format a script correctly, than I would write more." Well... that's not a valid excuse anymore. A friend of mine recommended this software to me, a while back, and... what can I say? It's fantastic. And the best part is that it is totally free!

I know this sounds like a cheesy infomercial you might see during the day, but I don't know how else to put it. The software is called Celtx, apparently prounounced, (Kel-Tex.) You can find it here.

So what's the big deal? It's a screenwriting software, for free! "So I can do that in Word," you say. Well does word allow you to tag charac
ters, props and locations, and then automatically load them into a production reports for you, huh? Can you automatically print call sheets from Word, huh? Huh? Well, can you? I didn't think so.

Here's a screenshot of the main window.
I know that's kind of small but you really ought to head to celtx.com, and check it out. They've got several tutorial/videos so that you can see how helpful this can be. It's available to download for Mac, PC and Linux, so again, no excuses!

Being organized is an important aspect of production. By being organized, it allows you to be more creative and not have to worry about things, like missing shots, missing actors, missing props, missing coffee... what!? Where's my coffee?!

No comments:

Post a Comment